Worlds 2016 - Dressed to the Nines (Short Dance)

We've been talking about and anticipating the Worlds all season long. Now they're finally here, and they're bound not to disappoint. As it's become custom, the ice dancers are opening the event with their short skate. France's champions are here to defend their world title, with Canada's finest as their main rivals. The US and Italy are also looking to acquire a good spot for the final.

Before we get to all that, the UK's Penny Coomes/Nicholas Buckland are sharper and more refined than ever. Their routine has a classic set up with two alert sections and a lento in between. Difficult entry into the rotational lift. Their score: 68.23.

Hallelujah is the strongest short programme of Madison Hubbell/Zachary Donohue so far. The presentation is emotional without struggling to appear so, and the music changes pace just in time to avoid monotony. No mistakes here. They get 68.44 points.

Penny Coomes and Nicholas Buckland from Great Britain waltzing to Die Fledermaus by Johann Strauss
Photograph: Maddie Meyer / Getty Images North America

Alexandra Stepanova/Ivan Bukin have pretty great postures, but that's not enough to be on top. Their routine this season doesn't speak to me the way the Americans' does (and it's not personal even though the colour of her dress hurts my eyes). Apparently, the music is the soundtrack of The Stuntman, but I don't think that comes off. It might be different for people who have seen the film, so please correct me if I'm wrong. Their score: 63.84.

I don't think there is anyone more Italian at the moment than Charlene Guiganrd/Marco Fabbri. By that, I mean they make great use of their culture to leave the audience with a unique atmosphere every time they skate. From the costumes to the body language to the music, this is what being a true ambassador of a country through sport is like. Always a pleasure to see them skate. They get 65.96 points.

I have so much hope for Maia Shibutani/Alex Shibutani. This routine always makes me giggle with its adorkable humour. I don't think they've ever been this precise with any waltz ever before in terms of following the music, so this is above everything they've done so far with this type of dance. Loved it. They get 74.70 points.

Madison Chock/Evan Bates don't need the Ravensburger Waltz to look classier than half the other couples, but this season, they look particularly sophisticated. I really think this music suits their style. To compare the routine to that of the Shibutani siblings, I think this one looked more mature, but the former was more charming (and more difficult). Their score: 72.46.

Yes, Kaitlyn Weaver/Andrew Poje's waltz is still my favourite of the season and it will clearly remain so. I am worried about their technical score though, which seems to have taken a dive to the bottom of the sea and has forgotten how to swim back to the surface. Grand metaphor aside, it's lower than I'm used to for them. The again, there were tiny little flaws in the routine today. They get 71.83 points.

Madison Chock and Evan Bates skate to More by Andrea Bocelli & Unchained Melody by Il Divo
Photograph: Maddie Meyer / Getty Images North America
I don't know how to explain it, but whereas I found Anna Cappellini/Luca Lanotte absolutely fabulous at the Europeans, they leave me with a feeling of 'seen that before' here. It's unfair to say so because these two definitely have a style of their own that shines through, but it simply doesn't rise to the occasion tonight when compared to the Americans and Canadians. It just needs a bit more difficulty to make everything pop. Their score: 70.65.

I'm about to say the unspeakable: I'm not a big fan of Gabriella Papadakis/Guillaume Cizeron's short routine. I am a fan of theirs though, which is why I can appreciate their fluid movements, the sharpness of the Ravensburger, the speed and difficulty of the lift. However, and this is a personal preference, I prefer programmes that are a bit more focused and don't really look like something they've done before. Tiny little posture problem during the first part of the twizzles, but barely noticeable. They get 76.29 points. P.S.: Love how excited the lady announcing their score is.

So there you have it, the pieces are set for the final. Papadakis/Cizeron take the lead to nobody's surprise. The Shibutani siblings are in second place, which makes me particularly happy. Chock/Bates are third, barely managing to squeeze in front of Weaver/Poje. Let's see which places get switched in the final.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Skaters We'll Miss, Part 5: Daisuke Takahashi

Internationaux de France 2018 - Ladies Final - What Great Skaters Are Made Of

Skate America 2015 Preview