Skate America 2015 - When the Cards Fall as Planned (Ice Dance FS)

The ice-dancers' short programme saw Madison Chock & Evan Bates waltz their way effortlessly to the first position, but that's something we all saw coming. The pleasant surprise was the second place of Victoria Sinitsina & Nikita Katsalapov, who are indeed trying to improve their image after last season's fiasco. On third came the always-innovating Piper Gilles & Paul Poirier from Canada. Let's see what happens in the free:

I am amazed at how much I love Shiyue Wang/Xinyu Wang's Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. My only experience with this story is Stolbova/Klimov's free skate from last season, which is probably why I like the dance version more. It's more complex in terms of story and music, displaying a softness I wouldn't have thought existed. I'm very glad they kept the Chinese lyrics. Their score: 80.22. Overall: 129.59.

I need to make a note to count the positions in Alexandra Nazarova/Maxim Nikitin's straight-line lift because there is an impressive number of them. I also like the dress she's wearing - captures the feeling of Fantasia by Mozart perfectly. They get 85.07 points. Overall: 135.60.

Madison & Evan kept their Skate America gold medal
Anastasia Cannuscio/Colin McManus stay in the German-speaking category of classical music, but change periods. The start of the programme is set to the alert Ninth Symphony by Beethoven, which makes the routine trickier as they have to follow the turns and twists in the melody. Great job! Their score: 90.75. Overall: 143.67.

As someone who read the book way before seeing the film, I still get a shock when I hear the soundtrack of The Great Gatsby. I absolutely love Anna Yanovskaya/Sergey Mozgov's edit of it. It doesn't follow the story-line, but it sure is fun. For this moment in their careers, that's good enough. They get 87.57 points. Overall: 140.92.

There is a trend in figure skating of choosing the soundtrack of the current Oscar-holding film. Kaitlin Hawayek/Jean-Luc Baker are this season's subscribers to said trend. Their performance of The Theory of Everything is truly touching, and their relationship on ice mirrors the characters' perfectly. Their score: 94.15. Overall: 150.69.

Wow, wow, wow! How can you not love Piper Gilles/Paul Poirier? Just look at her commitment to the story - from the costume to the braid to the fake tattoos, she has 'metamorphosized' completely into her character. This is by far my favourite free dance of this competition. They get: 96.25 points. Overall: 157.58.

Victoria Sinitsina/Nikita Katsalapov's Io Ci Saro is easier to understand than the Canadians' routine, which is why I feel it will resonate more with the judges and the audience. Technically, I always get the feeling his twizzles are a bit too fast for his partners (I noticed it while he was skating with Elena Ilinykh too). Their score: 99.45. Overall: 162.21.

Well, Madison Chock/Evan Bates just made me like Rachmaninoff. Their routine is classy and elegant, but the lifts are less daring than I would have expected from them. They get 102.66 points. Overall: 173.22.

I'm not sure I agree with the order of the medals after Gilles/Poirier's mind-blowing free skate, but I will say that the judges chose the three top couples right. Congratulations to the Americans for the gold medal, to the Russians for the silver and to the Canadians' for the bronze.

For more Skate America coverage, go to: http://crystalskate.blogspot.co.uk/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Skaters We'll Miss, Part 5: Daisuke Takahashi

Skate America 2015 Preview

Internationaux de France 2018 - Ladies Final - What Great Skaters Are Made Of