Skate America 2015 Preview

That wonderful time of the year is here again! No, I'm not talking about Christmas, but the start of the figure skating Grand Prix series.

I've been waiting for this event since the last day of the 2015 World Team Trophy, and I know I'm not the only one, so let's get started.

The logo of Skate America 2015
Photo: www.isu.org
Skate America will open the Grand Prix series, as usual. It is held this year in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

Milwaukee is not known for anything related to figure skating, but for its beer and festivals - beer festivals, I assume. In fact, the logo for Skate America this year looks so much like a beer label that I wouldn't be surprised if the party favours proved out to be small bottles of beer with the logo as labels. Wouldn't that be cool?

As creative as the marketing of the event is, the logo isn't what it's going to make this event spectacular. That task is given to the skaters, and judging by the big names competing, they should have no trouble fulfilling it.

Let's start with the boys. International superstar Denis Ten is definitely the front-man here. I'm curious about his new routines, as he always finds either original music or original ways to interpret it. Also here we will see Takahito Mura and Jason Brown, two rising stars who are bound to make a splash. The American has two dramatic pieces from The Great Gatsby and The Piano I look forward to.

The ladies' competition will also feature a worldwide-known celebrity: Julia Lipnitskaia. Although I'd love to place my bets on the lovely Russian, last season's overall performance makes me hesitate. She is undoubtedly one of the best skaters to emerge out of Russia in recent years, but that's precisely the problem. The teen didn't quite know how to handle the pressure of her fame last season. Let's hope her comeback will be more confident. If not, the host's golden girl, Gracie Gold, or Japan's own teen-wonder, Satoko Miyahara, might take the gold medal. I'm also curious about Elizabet Tursynbaeva, of whom I've heard a lot lately.

Moving on to the pairs' event, it's pretty clear Ksenia Stolbova/Fedor Klimov are going to win. That doesn't make the competition dull though. The Russians withdrew from the World Championships last season in order to practice a quad throw, and I am very excited to see the results. They're probably not going to show it off at their first important competition of the season, but one can still hope.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Photo: www.wikipedia.com
Same predictions can be made about the ice dancers: Madison Chock/Evan Bates will be unrivaled in Milwaukee. They're doing Rachmaninoff for their free, and though not a big fan of the Russian composer, I am a huge fan of their lifts, so I can't wait to see their choreography. Others to keep an eye out for are Piper Gilles/Paul Poirier - who are doing music by Jorane and Takenobu Mitsuyoshi (I haven't heard of either, so I'm intrigued) - and Victoria Sinitsina/Nikita Katsalapov, who surely want to prove they're better than their weak debut last season.

Whether they're a sure bet for the gold medal or a 'maybe,' superstars will be filling the UW-Milwaukee Panther Arena from October 23 to 25. Make sure to watch the competition, and come back here for commentary on the events. See you soon!

Comments

  1. Hope Ksenia and Fedor to Win THE gold medal!!! They deserve it!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like So much your blog and your previewes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Preview. Watching Elizabet, she is wonderous, just taking the Gold last week in Ontario. One factor which is hugely underestimated I believe by most American Bloggers is Miyu Nakashio, she is MOST capable, this is her senior Debut and Ainash and I are most fond of her. I predict she will come out of nowhere and make a huge bang. She is a close friend of Jason Brown, the two are nearly inseparable with they are together. You will see why Ainash and I claim her as one of our girls I think she can 3A and more. Going out on a limb here with ladies and saying it will be to start Gold-Satoko, Silver-Elizabet Bronze Miyu (could be better as I am told she has a surprise for us). You are spot on with Denis, predict he will come out strong and on the mark this year. I see him as Gold. Lipnitskaya and Gold having some consistency issues. Hard to say which will go silver for mens but you are in the ballpark. Pairs, you got it too. Dance...we know who will win already, its 2 and 3 we are not sure of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll make sure to keep an eye out for Miyu Nakashio. I don't know her, so you've already got me excited.

      Delete
  4. sorry but really, really and again really bad predictions, you dont know who wenjing sui- cong han , evgenia medvedeva and shoma uno are. I think all of these three may win gold

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, fair enough. I do know Wenjing and Sui, but because I focused on Ksenia and Fedor, I left them out. I don't agree that they will win the gold medal, but they'll be on the podium for sure. Of Evgenia and Shoma, I haven't heard. Looking forward to though.

      Delete
  5. In this event my favourites are Menshov, Lipnitskaia, Stolbova/Klimov and Chock/Bates

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like your blog Daiana!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Skaters We'll Miss, Part 5: Daisuke Takahashi

Internationaux de France 2018 - Ladies Final - What Great Skaters Are Made Of