2017 Europeans - The Watchlist

About a week ago, while I was enjoying a perfectly lovely evening next to a good book and a cup of chai tea, I started to hear this little voice inside my head that nudged me to check the dates of the European Championships. I had at some point got it into my head that they were going to be held in February, so I wasn't really stressing about it. Well, imagine my surprise when I saw how very wrong I was. So I got my pen, my notebook and my laptop, and now here I am. Kudos, little voice of reason.

I have to admit I am unusually excited about these championships, because I realised, as I was going through the list of skaters, that there would be a lot of faces I didn't know. Maybe the next big star of European figure skating is still to come out this week? Before we find out though, I've compiled a list of the top five figure skaters of each discipline I'm going to keep an eye on.

MEN

Maxim Kovtun
Photo: Tasos Katopodis/Getty Images North America
Javier Fernandez - not shocking at all, the Spaniard still tops my watchlist. As he's got everything he needs, including none of his main rivals, to win the gold, I could hardly leave him out.

Mikhail Kolyada - I was surprised to see Mikhail as the main Russian contender, but then I found out he is Russia's new national champion. Congrats to him, and looking forward to seeing him perform.

Maxim Kovtun - Maxim is who I thought I'd see as Russia's main front-runner, but he is in fact their third, after only winning the bronze at Nationals. Still finding it hard to rule him out though.

Alexei Bychenko - the Ukrainian-born skater won a silver medal last year, so he'll be looking to get on the podium this year as well. It's not an easy task, but then last season was not either.

Alexander Samarin - Russia's national silver medalist will make his senior major competition debut in Ostrava. I've never seen him skate, but the fact he defeated Kovtun shows potential.

PAIRS

Ksenia Stolbova/Fedor Klimov - Russia's best in pairs at the moment have yet to skate on international ice this season after they had to withdraw from both Grand Prix events. Looking forward to their Debussy and Aubry routines.

Aliona Savchenko/Bruno Massot - could this be the year Bruno wins his first European gold? Yes, it could. Let's just hope Aliona has fully recovered from the injury she sustained at Trophee de France.

Aliona Savchenko/Bruno Massot
Photo: Maddie Meyer/Getty Images North America

Evgenia Tarasova/Vladimir Morozov - this pair has had a fantastic season, the peak of which was their gold at the Grand Prix Final. I think they also have a fair chance at winning in Ostrava.

Natalia Zabiiako/Alexander Enbert - I've had my eyes on this pair since their silver medal at Rostelecom Cup. Let's see if they're just the future of Russian pair skating or if they manage to do something spectacular right now.

Vanessa James/Morgan Cipres - the French pair has been flirting with a European medal for the past four seasons. They might not get it unless rivals make mistakes, but they're always a joy to watch.

LADIES
Carolina Kostner
Atsushi Tomura/Getty Images AsiaPac

Carolina Kostner - don't think I need to explain this one. Europe's ice sweetheart is back! She's doing music by Vivaldi and Led Zeppelin, so you'd better not miss her skate.

Evgenia Medvedeva - despite the Italian's return, there is little to no doubt in my mind Evgenia will win the gold in Ostrava, just as she did in Bratislava, Boston, Marseille...well, you get it.

Anna Pogorilaya - I think Carolina will have to fight for the silver more than the gold, and this lady will be one of her rivals. She's only here because the Russian Nationals' silver medalist is too young to participate, but we all know she can do great things.

Maria Sotskova - another year, another new Russian face. Maria is officially in the club of very talented Russian ladies, but it remains to be seen if she can hold her own against the rest.

Roberta Rodeghiero - don't let Carolina's return distract you from the continuing ascent of her teammate. Roberta's fun routines make her one of my favourite skaters to watch.

ICE-DANCE

Gabriella Papadakis/Guillaume Cizeron - in a couple of months' time these two will have to face their biggest rivals, but in Ostrava, the gold medal is almost a sure bet.

Anna Cappellini/Luca Lanotte - the Italians are at their best when they do quirky, expressive routines, which is why I look forward to seeing their Charlie Chaplin programme again.

Ekaterina Bobrova/Dmitri Soloviev - the strongest Russian dance couple will likely collide with the Italians in a battle for the silver, and they just might win it if they skate perfectly.

Anna Cappellini/Luca Lanotte
Photo: Tom Szczerbowski/Getty Images North America
Alexandra Stepanova/Ivan Bukin - these two have been a bit over-looked due to all the buzz happening at the top, but they're still one of the strongest European couples at the moment.

Victoria Sinitsina/Nikita Katsalapov - it looks like the Russian bronze medallists are slowly, but surely coming into a style of their own. Worth keeping an eye on how they evolve.

So, with Russian Nationals 2.0 in more than one discipline, comebacks that will keep us glued either to screens or to our seats, and an array of ice superstars, I can only say, let the championships begin! Check back for more on the European Championships this week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Skaters We'll Miss, Part 5: Daisuke Takahashi

Internationaux de France 2018 - Ladies Final - What Great Skaters Are Made Of

Skate America 2015 Preview